Tuesday, October 9, 2007

20 Years Later...

This past weekend, I attended my 20-year high school reunion.

I attended a Catholic high school. Actually, that should be catholic, with a small "c".

Sure, we had an occasional Mass and prayed at the beginning and end of the day, but we were just as secular as the school down the street. Kids went to Mass so their parents would buy them a car. Their faith was pretty much their parents' (if even they had any), not their own.

I know what you're saying, "that's the way all teenagers are." Maybe, but the purpose of this entry is to let you know that nothing has changed in the last 20 years for my classmates... or for my school.

The high school now has a non-denominational "chaplain" on campus. The guy who was the big-time party dude in 1987, found it hard to shake hands since he had a beer in each all night long.
Men refused to bring their wives so they could talk more freely about the "good ol' days". Or even flirt with an old girlfriend. I handed out a few Real Catholic Men business cards which got odd looks. I wasn't surprised.

If only a Catholic education guaranteed a Catholic adult. If only good Catholic parents meant good Catholic kids. If kids could grow in their faith in spite of their parents lip-service practice of
Catholicism. What hope to we have?

The hope that is Christ Jesus. Us. His Church. Prayer. Evangelization. Walking the walk. Bearing witness. Being seen. Unapologetic. Faithful.

We are called. You and I. Don't sit on your sofas saying, "Aren't I a good Catholic?" Go out, and make disciples of ALL nations! Even those who are younger. Older. The Same. Different. Answer the call. Our Church needs us.

No comments: